On This Day in History: May 26 is the 146th day of the year (147 in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 219 days left until the end of the year.
There are several notable events that occurred on May 26 throughout history, and that is why it is an important day in Indian and world history.
If you are wondering what happened today in History? Then you are in the right place. On this day, there are several notable events that have occurred throughout Indian and world history.
In this article, we have compiled a list of the important things that happened around the world on May 26. Check it out:
- Today In History: What Happened On This Day In Indian History Events
- 1739 – Afghanistan Separated from India
- 1999 – Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid set a world record of 318 runs
- What happened in world history on May 26
- 2020 – George Floyd, a black man, was killed when a white Minneapolis police officer
- 1897 – “Dracula” goes on sale in London
- 1927 – Last day of Model T production at Ford
- 1999 – NASA launched EXOSAT
- Today’s highlights in history:
- Also on this day:
- Birthdays of famous people on May 26
- 1968 – Dilip Joshi’s Birthday
- 1983 – Sushil Kumar’s Birthday
- List of important days in May 2023
- List of important days by month 2023
Today In History: What Happened On This Day In Indian History Events
1739 – Afghanistan Separated from India
On May 26, 1739, the historic event known as the Battle of Karnal took place, which ultimately led to a major territorial separation between Afghanistan and the Mughal Empire in India.
During the Battle of Karnal, the forces of the Persian Empire, led by Nader Shah, defeated the Mughal army under the command of Mughal Emperor Muhammad Shah. As a result of this decisive victory, Nader Shah gained control of a large part of the Mughal Empire, including present-day Afghanistan.
Pashtuns Fighting Pakistan Army Expose Durand Line Fallacy https://t.co/thYnTeOwHP via @Afghan pic.twitter.com/gigja2l1Dz
— Afghan Diaspora Network (@af_diaspora) May 24, 2022
1999 – ISRO orbited 3 satellites
On May 26, 1999, the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) successfully launched three satellites into orbit. The mission, known as PSLV-C2, marked a significant achievement for India’s space program.
In addition to the IRS P3 satellite, the PSLV-C2 mission also carried two other smaller satellites as secondary payloads. These satellites were:
1. German satellite Tubsat: Tubsat, developed by the Technical University of Berlin, Germany, was a microsatellite designed to carry out scientific experiments in space, particularly in the field of communications and Earth observation.
2. Korean satellite Kitsat-3: Kitsat-3, developed by the Korea Aerospace Research Institute (KARI), was a small satellite intended for technological experiments and Earth observation.
1999 – Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid set a world record of 318 runs
Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid hold the world record for highest partnership in One-Day Internationals (ODIs). On 26 May 1999, in a match against Sri Lanka, they set a partnership of 318 runs for the second wicket. This partnership took place during the 1999 Cricket World Cup, which was held in England.
What happened in world history on May 26
2020 – George Floyd, a black man, was killed when a white Minneapolis police officer
On May 25, 2020, George Floyd, a black man, was killed when a white Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee into Floyd’s neck for approximately 9½ minutes while Floyd was handcuffed pleading that he could not breathe; Floyd’s death, captured on video by a bystander, would spark worldwide protests, some of which turned violent, and a reexamination of racism and policing in the US.
1897 – “Dracula” goes on sale in London
The first copies of Irish writer Bram Stoker’s classic vampire novel Dracula appear in London bookstores on May 26, 1897.
1927 – Last day of Model T production at Ford
May 26, 1927, the last day of production of the Model T at Ford marked an important milestone in automotive history. The Model T, produced by the Ford Motor Company, was one of the most influential and iconic automobiles of the 20th century.
1999 – NASA launched EXOSAT
EXOSAT, short for European X-ray Observatory Satellite, was launched by the European Space Agency (ESA) on May 26, 1983. It was a space telescope specifically designed to observe X-rays from celestial sources. EXOSAT operated for almost eight years and made important contributions to the field of X-ray astronomy.
Today’s highlights in history:
– In 1864, President Abraham Lincoln signed a measure creating the Montana Territory.
– In 1938, Congress established the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
– In 1940, Operation Dynamo began, the evacuation of some 338,000 Allied troops from Dunkirk, France, during World War II.
– On May 26, 1972, President Richard M. Nixon and Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev signed the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty in Moscow. (The United States withdrew from the treaty in 2002.)
– In 1994, Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley got married in the Dominican Republic. (The marriage ended in 1996.)
Also on this day:
In addition to these historic events on May 26, there are also the birthdays and deaths of several notable people that you should know about.
Birthdays of famous people on May 26
Vilasrao Deshmukh (1945-2012) was an Indian politician and a prominent leader of the Indian National Congress party. He served as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra, one of India’s most populous states, for two non-consecutive terms. Deshmukh was born on May 26, 1945 in Babhalgaon, Maharashtra, and came from a political family.
1968 – Dilip Joshi’s Birthday
Dilip Joshi is an Indian actor best known for his portrayal of the character Jethalal Gada in the popular Indian sitcom “Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah.” He was born on May 26, 1968 in Porbandar, Gujarat, India.
1983 – Sushil Kumar’s Birthday
Sushil Kumar is an Indian wrestler who has achieved great success in the sport of wrestling. He was born on May 26, 1983 in the town of Baprola, Delhi, India. Sushil Kumar is considered one of the most successful wrestlers in Indian wrestling history.
List of important days in May 2023
|May 2023 Important Dates||Important days in May|
|may 1||International work day|
|may 1||maharastra day|
|may 1||gujarati day|
|may 1||world laughter day|
|May 3||Press Freedom Day|
|May 3||World Asthma Day|
|May 4th||coal miners day|
|May 4th||International Firefighter’s Day|
|May 6th||International No Diet Day|
|May 7th||world athletics day|
|May 8||World Red Cross Day|
|May 8||World Thalassemia Day|
|May 9||Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti|
|May 11||National Technology Day|
|May 12||international nursing day|
|may 14||Mother’s Day|
|15 th of May||International Day of Families|
|may 17th||world telecommunication day|
|may 17th||world hypertension day|
|May 18||World AIDS Vaccine Day|
|May 18||International Museum Day|
|May 20th||National Endangered Species Day|
|May 21th||National Day Against Terrorism|
|May 22nd||International Day for Biological Diversity|
|may 31||anti smoking day|
List of important days by month 2023
This was all about the interesting and intriguing events that happened on May 8! For more informative content follow TIT Education.