If you have a Yahoo mail account, I don’t need to tell you how amazing it works and its services like emails, videos, maps, web portal, social media and news that make it more desirable.
Yahoo has upped their game by introducing the ‘Account Key’ feature for their email service. In this way, you can easily access your Yahoo account without worrying too much about security issues.
After reading this, I know that some questions must be running through your mind right now, such as:
Don’t worry as by reading on you will find all your answers. Now, let’s start with:
What is Yahoo account key?
Yahoo introduced the account key to eliminate the need for a password to access your account. You can simply log in with a single ‘Tap’ on your phone. ‘Account Key’ is a push notification based login method where you only need to remember your username and have your phone handy.
The feature was introduced somewhere around March 2015 when Yahoo decided to get away with using
passwords and started sending passwords on demand to mobile devices. The password on demand is known as an ‘Account Key’, the key to which only you have access.
How does the Yahoo account key work?
Yahoo Mail Account Key is a security feature that the email giant has enabled to put an end to the need for a login password. Also, passwords are not considered more secure, so there should be an extra layer of security for your Yahoo account.
Also, when you access your account with the password, you have to go through the Yahoo account recovery process every time you forget the password.
Once you enable the Yahoo account password, you no longer need to remember or enter the password. Every time you try to access your account, a simple touch on your mobile device will be enough for authentication. This way, you can have physical verification from a trusted device every time you try to access your account.
Before you continue, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- Access your Yahoo mail account
- Your Android or iOS mobile device
- The Yahoo Mail app must be installed on your mobile device
How to enable Yahoo account key?
To set up the account key for your Yahoo account, you need to sign in to your account on your PC and then follow the steps below:
- Click on your profile name shown in the top right corner and you will see some options, click on ‘Settings’.
- On the next screen, click on the ‘Account Security’ option in the left column.
- In the ‘Account Security’ section, click ‘See how it works’ under the ‘Secure your account with Yahoo Account Key’ heading.
- Next, to start setting up your Yahoo account password, you’ll receive a notification on your device, so click ‘Send me a notification’.
- Now, you need to make sure that you are signed in to your Yahoo account in the mobile app and have notifications enabled.
- Check on your phone, you should have received a notification in the Yahoo mail app.
- Once you have tapped on the green tick on your phone, you will be prompted to sign in again as shown in the image below.
- That was it and you can click ‘Always use Yahoo account key’ to enable it for your account. You will be asked to enter your phone number as the last step.
From then on, whenever you try to sign in or sign in to your Yahoo email from any device such as a PC or mobile, you’ll get a push notification on your registered mobile number, whether you’re trying to access or any unauthorized person.
You will get a notification like this
“Are you trying to log in?”
Just tap ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
With the help of the account key method, you can confirm that it is you who logs in without entering a passcode.
How to deactivate Yahoo account key?
It is also easy to get rid of the Yahoo account key and revert to the password as the login method as follows:
- Go to the Yahoo account security page and enter your login credentials. Click on the ‘Manage’ option given for ‘Yahoo account key is enabled’.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will see the ‘Disable Account Key’ option, click on that. After that, you will be asked to log in to your account again.
- Now, you can choose the required option i.e. ‘Yes, disable account key’ and the key will be disabled for your account.
- After that, you can only log in with your Yahoo mail account password.
What happens if the Yahoo account key doesn’t work?
There may be a scenario where you have activated your Yahoo account key but you don’t receive it when you try to log in. To solve this:
- Allow or turn on notifications in the Yahoo Mail app and from your mobile device.
- Click ‘Resubmit’ to generate a new Yahoo Authentication Key.
If you still don’t get it,
- Go to the Yahoo sign in page and try to sign in.
- Click one of: Use text or email to sign in or Try another way to sign in.
- Enter the missing digits of your number and click Submit.
- If you have access to your phone, press Yes, text me a verification code.
- In case you don’t have access, you can choose the option to verify your alternate email address.
- Enter the verification code to confirm and click Continue to access your account.
Hopefully this will help.
How safe is the Yahoo account key?
This is the most frequently asked Yahoo account key question and if you are also using this method then you should know how secure it is.
Using the account key as the login method ensures that your Yahoo account is safe from being hacked.
If you confuse it with a two-factor authentication process, it includes only one factor. Also, the two-factor verification method is considered more secure compared to the account key. So you know what’s best for you.
Can’t send email from Yahoo Mail
How do I fix Yahoo sign in problems?
How to unlock a locked Yahoo account?
Yahoo SMTP server not working
Yahoo Mail won’t load on my iPad