Listen to the Podcast:
We explain how to upload YouTube shorts, the new type of video with which the Google platform competes with TikTok and Instagram Reels. This feature has started rolling out to YouTube users, and if you don’t already have it, it’ll be coming to you in the next few days, though it’s rolling out to the Android app first.
Its operation is simple, and we will begin by explaining how you can see and manage the ones that appear to you. Next, we will tell you step by step how you can create your own. The videos have a maximum duration of 15 seconds and must be recorded vertically.
How YouTube shorts work
New TikTok videos on YouTube, called Shorts, are integrated into your Subscriptions section. Click on it within the app, and in addition to the usual videos and other content from the accounts you follow; You will also start to see a section with various shorts. You just have to click on them to see them.
When viewing videos, swipe up to see the next one and swipe down to go back to the previous one. To return to the main screen, you have an arrow at the top left. In the Subscriptions section, when they appear, you can also leave your finger pressed on one to indicate if you are not interested because, in addition to the Short Films of the users you follow, others will also appear.
Read more: YouTube introduces monetization of licensed music
How to upload clips to YouTube: Step by step guide
- You must open the YouTube mobile app to post your short videos. Once inside, click on the + button Create at the bottom in the center with the plus symbol, which is used to post new content on YouTube from mobile.
Click the Create button
2. A window with options will open when you click the button to create new content. Here, if the option is already implemented on your mobile, you can click where it says create a shortwhich is for making TikTok type videos.
3. You will enter the short creation screen. Here below, you have the red button to start recording the video. Even so, to the left and to the right you will also see the options to change the camera of your mobile between rear and front or upload videos that you already have in your photo gallery. At the top right, you will see the Speed and timer options
4. If you click on the Speed and timer options, you can decide the speed at which the video is recorded in the first. The x1 is normal speed, so with the other options, you can do it in slow motion or all in fast motion. With the timer options, you can set a countdown or time limit for video recording.
5. The recording process is simple. All you have to do is hold down the record button, and above you will see how the bar that indicates how long you can record the short is completing.
6. When you release the record button, the recording will stop. Above you will see the time you have left, and you can keep pressing again to continue recording. Also, to the left of the recording button, you will see the delete button, which is used to delete what you have recorded, and to the right, you will have the Next button to go to the publishing process.
7. You will be taken to the editing screen when you click Next. There are few options, although you can add a text with its corresponding option or manage the chronology. When you have it, press the button Next button at the top right.
8. You will go to the last screen, where you have to write a short title and click Increase to publish it. In addition, you will also have options below to decide which users will be able to see it, since you may not want it to be public or for specific people to be able to see it.
Related Reading: How to Promote a Business on YouTube
How to add audio to YouTube clips?
You can accompany your Shorts with a song or an audio clip from the YouTube catalog, free for personal and non-commercial use. To use these registers, you have two alternatives:
- Before starting any recording, you can press Add sound and choose the audio that works best for you.
- The second option is to add it after recording (after pressing the verification ticket) in the Sound option at the bottom of the editing screen.
In any case, the sounds in the YouTube library only offer a maximum duration of 15 seconds.
Advantages of YouTube shorts
The YouTube platform already has a massive community of creators worldwide and thousands of users who use the app on a daily basis.
It’s just a matter of opening another menu to find a new world. You won’t use up more storage space on your phone or deal with the wait and uncertainty of new apps.
For expert creators
If you’ve been creating content on YouTube for a long time, you can connect with new audiences and broaden your horizons.
Even though you have a loyal following, you’ll get your content in a friendlier format for those who aren’t drawn to the traditional video format. You can place your “Shorts” section on your main channel to give quick access to your followers.
And if you are the complete opposite, a new user who has never been involved in video creation, then this is the place for you too.
If you want to be just an observer, Youtube will recommend the Shorts from the channels you already follow and some with similar content. When you want to create your content, the creation tools will make your life much easier, plus you will feel more comfortable joining communities that have been building for a long time on various topics and types of content.
Subscribe to our latest newsletter
To read our exclusive content, sign up now. $5/month, $50/year