Facebook acquired Instagram in 2012 and since users can link these two social media platforms, it means they can cross-post content and sync data with ease.
However, most users don’t feel like sharing the same content on FB that is shared on IG. In that case the question arises: how to unlink Facebook and Instagram?
HELP UNLINK FACEBOOK FROM INSTAGRAM BC IT IS LINKED TO MY KPOP ACC AND I DON’T NEED SCHOOL PPL TO SEE
— tub! (@daffydeul) July 19, 2016
So instead of creating a new Instagram account, you can read this article to unsync Facebook and Instagram.
How to unlink Facebook and Instagram on Android/iOS?
If you want to unlink FB and Insta on an Android/iOS device, you can do it in any of the official apps.
Through the Instagram application
While using the Insta app, follow these steps:
Note: If you have a business account on IG, you must change it back to a personal account before beginning the steps.
- Open and log in to Instagram.
- Tap on your profile icon present at the bottom right.
- From your profile, tap the hamburger menu at the top right.
- Tap the first option Settings and Privacy.
- Tap Account Center.
- Scroll down and tap Accounts.
- Then, you will reach the page that shows all the accounts linked to Instagram. Tap Remove in front of the username you want to disconnect.
- Now, tap Delete Account to completely unlink your IG account from other connected platforms like Facebook.
- Tap Continue to confirm the action.
Once you tap Continue, you will be able to unlink Instagram and Facebook. However, if you have the same login password for your account on both platforms, you will need to change one of the passwords.
Through the Facebook app
You may only add trusted contacts on FB and don’t want them to see your Insta posts. So, you can disconnect Facebook from Instagram using the official app by following these steps:
Note: If you’re running the Facebook app on an iOS or Android device, the steps will remain slightly the same.
- Open and log in to Facebook.
- Tap on the hamburger menu present at the top right of the home page.
- Scroll down and tap Settings & Privacy >> Settings.
- Tap See more in the Account Center that will appear at the top.
- Scroll down and tap Accounts.
- Select the account you want to unlink and tap Delete.
- Choose the first option Delete account and continue.
- Tap Continue to confirm the action.
Continue by confirming that you want to delete the selected account. That’s it, this will disconnect Facebook from Instagram.
Also, refresh the page or check your internet connection if you can’t unlink Facebook from Instagram.
How to unlink Facebook and Instagram on PC/Mac?
Many people prefer to use Facebook on their PC or Mac. If you are one of them and want to know how to unlink FB and IG, follow these steps:
- Open Facebook on your PC or Mac and click on your profile photo in the top right.
- Click on Settings & Privacy >> Settings.
- Now, click on “See more in Account Center” under the Account Center tab at the top left.
- Now, click on Accounts.
- Move the pointer to the Instagram username you want to unlink and click Delete.
- Click Continue to confirm the unlink process.
- Now, check the details about the process and if everything looks fine, click on Delete with your IG username mentioned.
That’s it, now you don’t have to worry about finding the answer on how to unlink FB and IG as your IG account will no longer be linked to your FB account.
Also, if you are running Insta on PC/Mac and want to disconnect your Facebook account, you need to follow the same steps mentioned for mobile.
How to delete Instagram posts from Facebook?
When Insta and Facebook are linked, the posts you share are added to a folder. So if you recently unlinked your IG account and don’t want to show such posts to your recently added friends on Facebook, you can delete the entire folder. Here’s how you can do it:
To delete the Instagram posts folder from your FB account on your Android/iOS device, follow these steps:
- Run the Facebook application.
- Tap on your profile photo present at the top left.
- Scroll down a little and tap Photos.
- Now, go to the Albums section.
- There you will find the “Instagram” folder. Open it.
- Tap the three-dot menu and then tap Delete.
- Tap DELETE to confirm the action.
That’s it, it will delete the entire folder containing each post shared on Facebook via Instagram.
If you’re running Facebook on your PC or Mac, you can get rid of Instagram posts by following these steps:
- Open your profile by clicking on the account name present on the left.
- Now go to Photos >> Albums. There you will see the Instagram folder.
- Click on the three dot menu right at the top of the icon.
- Then click Delete Album.
- Confirm the action by clicking Delete album.
Once you click on it, the page will reload and you will see that the folder has been deleted.
So if you are using a mobile device or PC, you can easily delete all Instagram photos in one go by following this method.
How to limit Instagram-Facebook interaction?
Learning how to desync Facebook and Instagram is one thing, but if you want to keep your account linked on both platforms but don’t want to share posts, you can easily do so. There is a customization option available in both apps that allows you to choose whether you want to publish the content as a story or publish it on either platform.
You can make the changes by following these steps:
- Open Instagram or Facebook and go to Account Center by following the steps mentioned above. Here we will use the Insta app.
- Go to Connected Experiences.
- Tap Share between profiles.
- Choose the linked Facebook account under Share from.
- Scroll down and use the sliders to share Insta posts to stories or FB posts.
So if you choose to share Insta posts only on FB stories, you can turn on the slider and keep the slider off for posts. Similarly, you can turn the slider on and off if you want to share your IG post or story on Facebook.
Facebook and Instagram are the two most dominant social media platforms used by Generation Z and Millennials. However, when it comes to sharing a common post on both platforms, users have different preferences.
Some are worried why their Instagram is not shared on Facebook and some prefer not to share Insta posts on FB. So, the choice is yours and you can choose to share the posts however you want with the customization option available. By learning how to unlink Facebook and Instagram, you will be able to post content separately on these two platforms. And you can also stop sharing posts permanently by deleting the shared account on either platform.
What happens if you unlink Facebook and Instagram?
Answer: If you unlink Facebook and Instagram, it improves your privacy and gives you the independence to post different content on both platforms.
Are Facebook and Instagram linked automatically?
Answer: In some cases, you will find your FB account automatically linked to your Insta account. But above all, it is necessary to link both platforms manually.
Will deleting a Facebook Page delete a connected Instagram account?
Answer: No, it will only delete the page and will have no effect on the connected IG account.
Unlink your Instagram account from other social networks – Instagram Help Center
Read more Author: Gaurav Rathore BSc, University of Delhi