Listen to the Podcast:
Learn how to use the new Apple Maps feature in 2023! Since its debut in 2012, Apple Maps has undergone significant development. Despite the continued superiority of Google Maps, the new Apple Maps layouts have made a significant improvement.
On the other hand, Apple Maps includes some fantastic features that are superior to what Google Maps offers. I mean the phrase “Look around you”. This is the information you must have.
What is the Apple Maps Look Around feature?
Apple Maps’ Look Around feature is essentially the company’s answer to Google Street View. In other words, Apple Maps Look Around gives you the ability to see photorealistic images of the streets and other places around you in 360-degree panoramic views.
Although Apple Maps Look Around is basically the same as Google Maps Street View, there is no doubt that the images presented in Apple Maps Look Around are of significantly higher quality than those offered in Google Maps Street View. We have a hunch this is because Apple employs cars that are not only equipped with multiple cameras but also LIDAR sensors, to acquire images using the Look Around feature.
Supported locations in Apple Maps Look Around
It is essential to note that Apple Maps’ Look Around feature is not accessible to all streets in the world. According to Apple, Apple Maps Look Around is now available in the following countries and cities starting in April 2023:
- Atlanta Georgia
- Boston, MA
- Chiba City, Japan
- Chicago, IL
- Denver, Colorado)
- Detroit, MI
- Dublin, Ireland
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- Fukuoka City, Japan
- Hiroshima City, Japan
- Houston, TX
- Kanazawa City, Japan
- Kawasaki City, Japan
- Kobe City, Japan
- Kyoto City, Japan
- The Vegas, Nevada
- London, United Kingdom
- Los Angeles California
- Miami Florida
- Nagoya City, Japan
- New York, NY
- New Zealand
- Niigata City, Japan
- oh hello
- Osaka City, Japan
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- phoenix, arizona
- Portland, Oregon
- Sagamihara City, Japan
- Saitama City, Japan
- Sakai City, Japan
- San Diego, California
- San Francisco Bay, California
- San Marino
- Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Sapporo City, Japan
- Seattle, WA
- Sendai City, Japan
- Shizuoka City, Japan
- Takamatsu City, Japan
- Tokyo subway, Japan
- Washington D.C.
- Yokohama City, Japan
Although Apple provides a list of countries that are compatible with Apple Maps Look Around, please note that not all streets in the country may be compatible with Look Around imagery.
How to use Apple Maps Look Around?
[Video Credit: @Tom Leeman]
To access Look Around in Apple Maps, do the following any time you need information about a location that has it:
- Open Apple Maps and find a place you want to visit.
- If the area allows you to use Look Around, small binoculars will appear in the bottom left corner of the map. Flip this switch.
- You will now see that in the middle of the map, there is a round binoculars icon. You can see the images that the binoculars are looking at at the top of the Apple Maps screen. Move your finger across these images to move them in almost any direction.
- You can also pinch to zoom in on this image.
- You can also tap the expand arrows in the Look Around image window to make the images fill the entire screen.
- Finally, you can move the binoculars to a different street and view the Look Around imagery for that location by touching and dragging the map below the Look Around imagery window.
- Tap the Done button in the Look Around window to exit Look Around mode.
Apple Maps vs Google Maps: Which should you use?
When it comes to navigation apps, Apple Maps and Google Maps are heavy hitters. Both have a number of features and benefits, and both are good and bad in different ways. So how should you choose? Let’s take a closer look at each app and see how they stack up.
Since its initial release in 2012, Apple Maps has undergone numerous updates and improvements. It is compatible with Apple’s Siri and CarPlay systems and has a modern and simple interface with live traffic data, indoor maps and more. Flyover is a prominent feature that provides a fresh perspective on 3D cityscapes.
- The interface is easy to use.
- Traffic updates in real time.
- Inner maps.
- Flyover function to explore cities in 3D that works with Siri and CarPlay.
- Google Maps has more features and customization options.
- There may be less accurate maps in some places.
Since 2005, Google Maps has grown to become one of the most used navigation applications in the world. It has a larger database of places, more ways to customize routes, and more accurate information about public transportation. It also has Street View, which allows users to see images of places as they are in real life.
- Lots of information about places.
- Routes that can be changed in more ways.
- Accurate information about public transport Street View to see images of places in the real world.
- It can be difficult to understand for new users.
- Some features may be hidden in settings and menus.
- It can drain a phone’s battery faster.
Which one should you use?
In the end, the choice between Apple Maps and Google Maps comes down to personal preference and which features are most important to you. If ease of use and integration with Siri and CarPlay are important to you, Apple Maps may be a better option. Google Maps might be a better option if you need a bigger list of places to search and more ways to change your route. Regardless, both apps have plenty of features that can help you find your way around the world.
Apple Maps is a powerful way to find your way around, and it’s come a long way since it first came out. It has become an important app for many people because it has features like indoor maps, real-time traffic updates, and integration with Siri and CarPlay. By using the tips in this article, you can get the most out of Apple Maps and use it to get around the world quickly and easily.
Subscribe to our latest newsletter
To read our exclusive content, sign up now. $5/month, $50/year