On This Day in History: May 18 is the 138th day of the year (139 in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 227 days left until the end of the year.
There are several notable events that occurred on May 18 throughout history, and that is why it is an important day in Indian and world history.
If you are wondering what happened today in History? Then you are in the right place. On this day, there are several notable events that have occurred throughout Indian and world history.
In this article, we have compiled a list of the important things that happened around the world on May 18. Check it out:
Today In History: What Happened On This Day In Indian History Events
International Museum Day – May 18
On this day in 1977, the first International Museum Day was celebrated. This day highlights and promotes the role of museums around the world.
World AIDS Vaccine Day – May 18
World AIDS Vaccine Day is celebrated on May 18 every year and this day is also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day. This day aims to increase public awareness of the importance of HIV vaccines in preventing HIV infection and AIDS.
1912 – Shree Pundalik, the first Indian film, is released.
Shree Pundalik, which opened on 18 May 1912 at the Coronation Cinematograph, Girgaum, Mumbai, is sometimes considered the first minority Indian feature film.
1966 – Anniversary of the death of Panchanan Maheswari
On May 18, 1966, Indian botanist Panchanan Maheswari, best known for his invention of the angiosperm fertilization technique in a test tube, passed away sadly.
1974 – India joins the nuclear club
On May 18, India detonated its first atomic bomb called the Laughing Buddha under the supervision of Raja Ramanna, director of the Bhabha Atomic Research Center at the Pokhran Test Range (PTR) military base in Rajasthan and the event was attended by several key Indian generals such as First Minister Indira Gandhi.
What happened in world history on May 18
2009 – Sri Lankan civil war ends
Every year on May 18, Sri Lankan Tamils celebrate Mullaivaikkal Memorial Day in commemoration of those who died in the civil war that ended in 2009.
2012: Facebook raises $16 billion in the largest technology initial public offering in US history.
In 2012, the social network Facebook made its commercial debut with one of the most anticipated initial public offerings in Wall Street history; however, at the end of the day, Facebook shares closed up just 23 cents from their initial price of $38. In his first meeting with President Barack Obama, French President Francois Hollande (frahn-SWAH ‘oh-LAWND’) declared that he would withdraw all French combat troops from Afghanistan by the end of the year.
Today’s highlights in history:
– In 1652, Rhode Island became the first American colony to pass a law abolishing African slavery; however, the law was apparently never enforced.
– On May 18, 1980, the Mount St. Helens volcano in Washington state exploded, leaving 57 dead or missing.
– In 1896, the Supreme Court of the United States, in Plessy v. Ferguson, supported racial segregation “separate but equal”, a concept that he renounced 58 years after Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka.
– In 1910, Halley’s Comet passed close to the Earth, brushing it with its tail.
– In 1927, in the deadliest school attack in the United States, part of a school in Bath Township, Michigan, was blown up by explosives planted by local farmer Andrew Kehoe, who then detonated a bomb in his truck; the attacks killed 38 children and six adults, including Kehoe, who had previously killed his wife. (Authorities said Kehoe, suffering from financial difficulties, was seeking revenge for losing a town clerk election.)
– In 2015, President Barack Obama ended long-standing federal transfers of some combat-style equipment to local law enforcement in an attempt to ease tensions between police and minority communities, saying the equipment made for the battlefield they should not be a tool of American criminal justice. .
Also on this day:
In addition to these historic events on May 18, there are also the birthdays and deaths of several notable people that you should know about.
Birthdays of famous people on May 18
1914 – S. Tenth Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. Jagannathan was born.
1933 – HD Deve Gowda, the 12th Prime Minister of India, is born.
Anniversary of the death of famous people on May 17
1966 – Famed Indian botanist Panchanan Maheshwari dies.
2017 – Anniversary of the death of Reema Lagoo
Veteran actress Reema Lagoo passed away on May 18, 2017 at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute, Mumbai, after cardiac arrest.
List of important days in May 2023
|May 2023 Important Dates||Important days in May|
|may 1||International work day|
|may 1||maharastra day|
|may 1||gujarati day|
|may 1||world laughter day|
|May 3||Press Freedom Day|
|May 3||World Asthma Day|
|May 4th||coal miners day|
|May 4th||International Firefighter’s Day|
|May 6th||International No Diet Day|
|May 7th||world athletics day|
|May 8||World Red Cross Day|
|May 8||World Thalassemia Day|
|May 9||Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti|
|May 11||National Technology Day|
|May 12||international nursing day|
|may 14||Mother’s Day|
|15 th of May||International Day of Families|
|may 17th||world telecommunication day|
|may 17th||world hypertension day|
|May 18||World AIDS Vaccine Day|
|May 18||International Museum Day|
|May 20th||National Endangered Species Day|
|May 21th||National Day Against Terrorism|
|May 22nd||International Day for Biological Diversity|
|may 31||anti smoking day|
List of important days by month 2023
This was all about the interesting and intriguing events that happened on May 8! For more informative content follow TIT Education.